There are many reasons why people are not losing weight on the paleo diet. Let’s look at some and see if these are things you are doing that are sabotaging your efforts.
- You’re still trying to fit the USDA food pyramid model into the paleo diet by eating grains and seeds. Even if the grains you’re eating are gluten free, eating them will keep your body from responding to the paleo diet and you will not experience the weight loss you were hoping to achieve. Fat doesn’t make you fat… grains make you fat. They don’t feed cattle fat before slaughter to add pounds to them, they feed them grain.
- You’re eating paleo plus whatever you want. As hard as this is to believe, eating meat and Oreos is not going to help you reach your weight loss goals. Increasing your meat intake and then consuming ‘unclean’ foods is just going to frustrate you. Paleo is a diet that detoxes the body. Why? Because grains are toxic. Because pretty much any food not purchased from the outer edges of the grocery store is toxic. When you go shopping for food to cook for the paleo diet, stick to the outer edges of the supermarket. Visit only the produce, meat, and dairy section. Although eggs to not fall into the category of ‘dairy’ they are in that section because of refrigeration convenience. While you’re in the dairy section, pick up some Keri Gold butter, which brings me to the next point.
- You’re not losing weight, and your energy reserves are low because you’re not eating enough fat. Forty-five to fifty percent of your daily caloric intake should come from healthy fat. Since you cannot go around gnawing on sticks of butter all day, use avocados, cook with clarified butter and animal fat to help you reach that goal.
- Look for hidden sugars. Stop buying bottled dressings… make your own but be sure it’s still paleo. Too many people who have no clue as to what the paleo diet is or how it is supposed to work are posting ‘paleo’ recipes on social media that contain sugar in the forms of honey, maple syrup and ‘other’. THERE IS NO TRUE PALEO RECIPE THAT CONTAINS SUGAR IN ANY FORM!!!! No, there is no such thing as paleo pancakes, brownies, candy, muffins, etc. maple sugar, honey, and agave are still forms of sugar. Your liver and pancreas still have to figure out what to do with these calories and chemicals from the sugar.
- Stop drinking your calories; beer, spirits and wine are also a ‘no-go’ on the paleo diet. It does not matter how well you ate during the day, liquid calories impede your weight loss efforts. Learn to love the taste of water.
- Take the time to eat a good, paleo breakfast. Today’s breakfast was a 2-egg omelet with turkey meat and spinach. I seasoned it with S&P, and garlic. It was topped off, and served, with a small amount of horseradish mustard. Perfect.
Eating the paleo way is a dramatic change form how we have been told we should eat since the 1950’s. That’s the point. People are eating too much sugar and not enough fat. We must get back tot eh basics if we are to do more than merely survive on pills and other chemicals to get us through life. Eating healthy, forgiving those around us, and moving our bodies can dramatically improve our health.